Friday, September 12, 2008

BARCELONA!

As promised, here is a quick update on our short but sweet trip to Barcelona. We met up with the lovely BU Meg(h)ans (actually 2/3 of the BU Megs...) and had a chilled out week seeing the sites, lying on the beach, and catching up on our 1st years out of Boston. It seems as though we are not the only ones going through a year of transition, learning lots about ourselves and how the world works. It was refreshing to be reminded of those at home and all we have to look forward to when we return. A special thanks to our sugar mamas because without you we never would have looked trendy in a trendy place, experienced tapas and real sangria, nor would we have had the pull we needed to go to the wonderful city that is Barcelona.

I don't know about the others, but I have found my new favorite artist and architect: Gaudí. The Sagrada Familia, Park Güell, and Casa Batlló are like nothing I have ever seen before. The works left me feeling like I was in some sort of Doctor Seuss inspired heaven. Check out the links to get a better feel of what I am talking about.

The Picasso Museum forced me to find a new respect for the artist. I am not proud to say it, but I previously had little taste for abstract paintings my little cousins could make (no disrespect to my little cousins). But, now that I have actually given the guy (Picasso) a chance, I think he is the real deal. I think everyone was impressed with the museum...but if they weren't...who cares!?...it was free that 1st Sunday of the month! Beyond this, we saw various statues throughout the city, walked the Gothic corner, and spent plenty of time on the beach. The "magic fountain" show in front of the Palau National was truly magical. We went with a collection of characters that we met during the week who should not go without mention. Thanks for making our week that much better and lets just say now we have 4 reasons to go to Seattle! Beyond that, we learned that the party never stops in Barcelona and that is just one of many reasons why it is Jess's new favorite city.

As for right now, Morocco is the spot. We dropped off our bags in Madrid and are living out of our small day packs with just a couple of shirts and pants. So, we should be sufficiently smelly by the time we leave. Clueless as we tend to be, we arrived smack dab in the middle of Ramadan, so that should make an interesting country all the more interesting.

That's all for now...some pictures from Barcelona or up, but not all of them. Thanks for reading and we always love to read all of your comments!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't get any tickets in Spain, cause I want to there and I want you two to go with me. But Disney is first.

Mama Dukes said...

Hello! Girls!I was wondering if you will make it to Egypt?You are so close not to go!I have booked you with a social studies teacher and spanish teacher to come in and speak.Also our ES program...Love you both!Stay safe~Mom xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

mandas dad, not her mom

I figured since you are nearing the end of your journey i would write you my second comment. You may remeber the first one was many months ago. Now that you have all this culture perhaps some will rub off on the rest of us when you return. Your mother is contemplating a large gathering upon your and Jess's arrival. Culture will be all over the place then.

I am glad you two are having such a wonderful time, altough this was not so all the time I am sure. With all the knowledge (and wisdom)you have attained I was thinking the lecture circuit would be a good option.

Take care, hope all is well!

Jess's Dad said...

horray! new pictures. I swear I have traveled with you two over this past year, living through your blogs and photos. It felt like I was there with you both. You're amazing. Can't wait for the real hugs though, miss ya. The people you have met along the way and the hospitality that they have shared is truly amazing, there's hope.....you've been great Ambassadors!!